So long, summer!
Labor Day signals the end of summer and the beginning of back-to-school blues, but there are plenty of events throughout North Jersey to enjoy before the long weekend is over! Here are a few to get you started:
The 103rd “Feast”
- When: Aug. 31 to Sept. 3
- Where: St. Joseph Society, 40 Spring St., Lodi
- Details: The celebration will feature traditional Italian foods, rides for all ages and games of chance. There will be hourly 50/50 raffles, and a super drawing on Monday at 10 p.m.
- Learn more at stjosephchurchlodi.org.
Closter Labor Day 5K
- When: Sept. 2
- Where: Memorial Park, Closter
- Details: The borough of Closter will be hosting its annual 5K race and kids fun run on Sunday, beginning at 9 a.m.
- Interested participants can register online at runsignup.com or at the basketball courts on the morning of the race.
- Find out more at facebook.com/ClosterLaborDay5k.
Riverdale’s Annual Labor Day Street Fair
- When: Sept. 3 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Where: 91 Newark Pompton Tpke., Riverdale
- Details: A portion of Newark Pompton Turnpike will be closed off and turned into a mini block party with vendors, great food, live music and tons of activities for the kids.
- There will be a petting zoo, pony rides, face painting and more at the “Kids Zone” in the parking lot.
- For further details, visit jcpromotions.info.
Passaic River Labor Day Paddle Contest
- When: Sept. 3, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. or 2 to 4 p.m.
- Where: Essex County Environmental Center, Roseland
- Details: Adults and children over the age of 10 can take a leisurely two-hour paddle down the Passaic River.
- Participants will enjoy the scenic views as they paddle up the river and then float downstream.
- Learn more by calling 973.228.8776.
Rutherford Street Fair
- When: Sept. 3, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Where: 161 Park Ave., Rutherford
- Details: Peruse a handful of antique and craft vendor tables at the 43rd annual Rutherford Street Fair.
- There will be live entertainment on two stages, various food stands, kids’ amusements and a beer garden!
- Find out more at rutherfordstreetfair.com.