Blueberry Pie French Toast Muffins
Ingredients (makes 8 muffins)
- 8 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 thick slices of whole grain bread, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease 8 cups of a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice, allspice and salt. Add the bread cubes and stir, making sure all the cubes are covered in eggy mixture. Let soak for five minutes
- Fold in the blueberries. Spoon the bread mixture into muffin cups. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until the egg is cooked and the muffins are golden brown. Turn out onto a rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- This recipe lends itself to any seasonal fruit. To reheat these babies, pop them into the toaster oven with the rack on the lowest level and heat them for four to six minutes. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup or honey. If you're eating on the go, use a healthy smear of jam to avoid a sticky mess.