8 Bergen Pride Events To Check Out In June
Happy Pride! Celebrate and show your support for the LGBTQ+ community at a slew of events happening this month around the county.
June is a month full of celebrations—school’s out, summer officially begins and it’s Pride Month, which honors the Gay Liberation Movement that happened at the 1969 Stonewall Uprising in Manhattan.
And Bergen County is accepting of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) community. In fact, New Bridge Medical Center recently opened the county’s first-ever LGBTQ+ Health and Wellness Center, where community members can access medical care and testing in a judgment-free zone. There’s also BCLA, the Bergen County LGBTQ+ Alliance, which advocates for equality for the community, as well as the student-run organization, Bergen Pride, at Bergen Community College.
And as for Pride? Various towns in Bergen County will be hosting Pride events throughout the month of June. Here are a few to mark on your calendar:
- June 4 at 12 p.m. Glen Rock folks will join together for the annual Pride in the Park event, which kicks off with a flag raising at Memorial Park. Festivities follow, from face painting to games to a live musical performance. Ice cream and pizza will be available for purchase.
- June 4 at 12 p.m. After the flag raising at Borough Hall, Rutherford, in conjunction with the Rutherford Arts Council, will hold its first annual PRIDEFest at Lincoln Park, where you’ll find vendor tables, food trucks, a beer garden, kids’ activities and live music.
- June 4 at 5 p.m. Have a ball at Ramsey’s fourth annual LGBTQ Pride Ceremony on the front lawn of Ramsey High School; there will be speeches, live music, food trucks and more.
- June 11 at 1:30 p.m. There will be a parade down George Street to kick off Tenafly Pride’s festivities, dubbed “Say Gay Day,” followed by a ceremony at Huyler Park.
- June 12 at 1 p.m. Leonia Pride 2022, its second-annual celebration, will feature speakers, entertainment, a biergarten, food trucks, bouncy houses and more family fun at Wood Park.
- June 12 at 4 p.m. Mahwah kicks off its second-annual LGBTQ Pride Celebration & Art Show at Commodore Perry Field, featuring vendors, music, art exhibits and entertainment. P.S.: Show up early at 3:30 p.m. if you don’t want to miss drag queen story time!
- June 13 at 5 p.m. Join the county’s official Bergen County Pride 2022 party at the Gazebo Flagpole located at Bergen New Bridge Medical Center in Paramus for the flag raising. What follows will be a festival featuring music, refreshments, giveaways, a live DJ and more.
- June 26 at 12:30 p.m. The Pride Block Party in Fair Lawn outside the Municipal Building will include arts and crafts, live music, a performance from the Fair Lawn Pride Chorus, as well as drag queen story time and bingo brunch.
How will you be celebrating Pride Month? Tell us on Instagram @bergenmagnj.