SMARTER BREAST CARE
NEW TECHNOLOGY AT JACQUELINE WILENTZ CENTER PROVIDES ACCURATE—AND MORE COMFORTABLE—MAMMOGRAMS.
FOR WOMEN WHO LIVE or work in western Monmouth County, screening mammograms just got easier—and better. Breast imagers at Monmouth Medical Center’s Jacqueline M. Wilentz Breast Center at Colts Neck offer new technology to provide some of the best mammographic images available today. Women fi nd the new mammographic machine, called the Genius 3D Mammography with SmartCurve technology, to be especially effective and more comfortable—thanks to the rounded design of the compression device—when compared with traditional mammography.
“We offer a curved paddle that most women fi nd more comfortable, because it is designed to fi t the natural contour of the breast, making mammograms to be better tolerated for the patient,” says Diane Ciricillo, director of the Jacqueline M. Wilentz Breast Centers. She adds that the state-of-the-art advanced design reduces pinching and allows uniform compression over the entire breast.
Research shows that more than nine out of 10 women who felt discomfort with the standard “fl at” surface paddle used with other mammogram equipment fi nd SmartCurve more comfortable. Studies also show that the 3D tomosynthesis is more accurate than 2D mammography alone. The 3D mammography system allows radiologists to examine breast tissue layer by layer, like unstacking a deck of cards. This allows for better detection of breast cancer by eliminating overlapping breast tissue.
Studies also show that 3D mammography lowers a woman’s chance of being called back for follow-up testing such as additional mammographic images or breast ultrasound, which can help reduce stress and anxiety.
TIME FOR A SCREENING MAMMOGRAM?
October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month So the experts at the Jacqueline M. Wilentz Breast Center and Monmouth Medical Center want to offer you some reminders:
- Screening mammography for average risk women should begin at age 40.
- 75 percent of women with breast cancer have no family history of the disease.
- Tomosynthesis (3D mammography) detects 41 percent more invasive breast cancers and reduces callbacks by up to 40 percent.
- At the Wilentz Center, we utilize software to create a 2D image from your 3D imaging without any additional radiation.
- The Wilentz Center is proud to continually be recognized as having some of the highest quality measures for breast centers.
- When breast cancer is detected early through yearly screening, the five-year survival rate is almost 100 percent.
SCHEDULE YOUR SCREENING MAMMOGRAM TODAY: 732.923.7700
Jacqueline M. Wilentz Breast Center at Colts Neck (at 310 Rte. 34 South, next to Delicious Orchards).