5 Ways To…Feed Your Football Friends
Serve a winning feast on game day by bringing home the best from Bergen restaurants.
Kansas City vs. Tampa Bay: Sure, that’s the matchup for next week’s Super Bowl (Feb. 7, 6:30 p.m. on CBS), but we like to think of it as an excuse to chow down on mouth-watering food. After all, the two cities are known for great grub—one is arguably the best barbecue region in the country, while the other showcases some of the best Cuban cooking outside of Havana.
Of course, you need not consume just one culinary style; your football feast should be a smorgasbord of good eats. But don’t worry if you haven’t mastered a moist brisket or still have sub-par sliders on your menu—dozens of Bergen County restaurants can help you with all your game-day needs. Be sure to check out these eateries, all of which will have Super Bowl specials for your socially-distant party. Most require orders in advance, so get moving!
- Biggie’s, Carlstadt. From wings to sliders to oysters on the half shell, the same dishes you pick up for your Meadowlands tailgate can be served at your home. For your herbivore friends, trays of broccoli rabe, roasted red peppers and other veggies are available. 430 Rte. 17 S., 201.933.4000.
- Casual Habana, Hackensack and New Milford. No doubt your guests will appreciate a 6-foot hero purchased from the corner deli, but expect a few rounds of fist bumps (remember, high-fives are a COVID no-no) when served a classic Cuban sandwich from this neighborhood favorite. And don’t forget the empanadas too! 125 Main St., Hackensack, 201.880.9844; 200 Main St., New Milford, 201.576.0400.
- Jack’s Lobster Shack, Cresskill and Edgewater. If you had too many wings watching Buffalo’s journey in the playoffs, change up your menu with some fresh seafood. Trays of lobster rolls and crab cakes might cost more than the typical football food, but these treats are worth it! 38 Union Ave., Cresskill, 201.266.6575; 1040 River Rd., Edgewater, 201.224.2808.
- The Shannon Rose, Ramsey. Get all your Super Bowl classics from this popular Irish pub. Specials include trays of sliders and wings (they have the boneless variety too), as well as meals for the entire family. Can’t decide? Opt for the Football Package, which comes with wings, boneless wings and sliders! 1200 Rte. 17 N., 201.962.7602.
- Reilly Rib Cage, Hillsdale. Brisket and ribs are a must, but don’t turn your back on this recently reopened restaurant’s smoked chicken and sausage. 126 Broadway, 201.497.5990.