6 Hot Chocolates To Sip In Bergen County
When those cravings strike, grab a handcrafted hot chocolate at one of these Bergen-based cafés and coffee shops.
The Swiss Miss hot chocolate packets you purchase at the grocery store, mix with water and pour into a mug? Fine. Handcrafted hot chocolate that’s frothy and finished off with melty toppings…and prepared by someone other than yourself? Way better.
Jan. 31 is National Hot Chocolate Day, the perfect excuse to indulge in a warm cup of hot chocolate. And there are plenty of chocolatiers, coffee shops and quaint cafés here in Bergen County whose hot chocolates will hit the spot (and cure the sweet tooth). Here are a few of our favorites below:
- Café Angelique in Tenafly has the vibes of a Parisian café and the menu of one too. Try their s’mores hot chocolate that comes with graham crackers for dipping, or a mug full of their white chocolate version.
*1 Piermont Rd., Tenafly, 541.1010
- Coffee Break in Hackensack has standard hot chocolate, sure, but the real draw here is the “nutellino,” a warm drink made with espresso, milk, Nutella and then topped with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, shaved chocolate and optional toasted hazelnut.
*71 Main St., Hackensack, 201.485.3650
- Hotel Chocolat in Paramus has hot chocolate that’s smoother and deeper in flavor than the run-of-the-mill powdered stuff. Each sip contains grated pieces of real chocolate for that authentic cocoa flavor. Plus, on the menu are multiple flavors of chocolate shavings to top off your perfect drink.
*1 Garden State Plaza, Paramus, 201.843.0307
- L’arte Della Pasticceria in Ramsey has hot chocolates that vary by the season—a peppermint iteration was on the menu during the holidays, for instance, and there was a spiced version in the fall. The Italian-inspired bakery also has a standard hot chocolate and another that’s Nutella-flavored.
*109 E. Main St., Ramsey, 201.934.3211
- Rey Sol Coffee in Ridgewood knows a thing or two about yummy hot drinks—their coffee comes straight from Colombia. Try their just-as-good hot chocolate in an 8 or 12 oz. mug. Pro tip: Add gooey marshmallows for $3 extra.
*22 Chestnut St., Ridgewood, 908.227.1804
- Zai’s Dessertery in Bergenfield and Cresskill owner Zai Illyas is known for her macaroons and custom cakes, so you know she knows her stuff when it comes to chocolate. There are no extra accoutrements to the hot chocolate here, but it’s a mug full of simple yet creamy, flavorful deliciousness—just the way it should be.
*108 N. Washington Ave., Bergenfield, 201.771.7000; 22 B Union Ave., Cresskill, 201.266.8959
Any we missed? Shoot us a DM on Instagram @bergenmagnj and let us know!