6 Party Games To Rouse Your Crowd
No pool? No problem! Entertain your outdoor party guests by playing these life-size board games in your yard.
You need not a pool to throw an epic Memorial Day Weekend party or summer bash. Sometimes all it takes to entertain a crowd is a few board games that will break the ice and show your guests a good time.
But we’re not talking about Taboo and Trivial Pursuit. We’re referring to outdoor games that are meant to be played outside—they’re life-sized and should be on display, not tucked into a cardboard box in your game room.
Here are our picks for a half-dozen backyard games to keep you and your summer guests busy in your yard or on the deck or patio. Bonus: The kids will love these too!
- The almost 2-foot-wide 4-in-a-row Giant Game set—aka the bigger version of Connect Four—is made of premium hardwood so it looks pretty and lasts for years. It comes with 42 classic red and blue plastic discs for hours of play.
Available at target.com
- Doesn’t every backyard need a regulation-standard cornhole set? This Hammer & Axe set (pictured above) includes weatherproof bags and comes in the perfect patriotic colors for MDW, July 4—and all year long. It even has collapsible legs and carry handles if you decide you want to move the party elsewhere.
Available at Lowe’s, East Rutherford, 201.231.6040
- Black and white and chic all over is one way to describe this oversized Tumbling Tower Game, also known as Jenga. Store the blocks in the accompanying canvas tote bag and bring it to outdoor parties and picnics—it’s a way more exciting hostess gift than a bottle of wine or a store-bought dessert.
Available at Crate & Barrel, Paramus, 201.986.2999
- Game night will be a team effort with the Wooden Ladder Toss, where two teams of three can play at once. This set crafted from New Zealand pine comes with built-in scorekeepers along the ladder rungs, six golf bolas (three red, three blue) and a carry case to transport and/or store all the pieces.
Available at L.L. Bean, Paramus, 888.490.3837
- Bring New England vibes to your Jersey backyard with the Rec League croquet set. This all-in-one kit includes a stand, stakes and mallets made of hardwood—the six mallets and balls are in coordinating colors—so your crew is always ready for a rousing game of wickets.
Available at Dick’s Sporting Goods, Paramus, 201.261.2926
- The game of kings comes to life with this Premium Chess set by MegaChess. The 12-inch pieces are made of waterproof, stain- and mold-resistant recycled plastic, while the foldable nylon mat board stays flat on any surface, including patios and lawns.
Available at amazon.com