Costumes For A Cause: 5 Halloween Events In Bergen County
Dressing up is half the fun of Halloween! Show off your best costume at these events, which also support local nonprofits.
Pumpkin spice lattes, apple cider donuts and sweater weather are cool and all, but let’s be real—the actual best part of fall is the costumes. And as we gear up for Halloween on Oct. 31, lots of local organizations are hosting costume contests and events to which adults and kids (and pets!) should bring their dress-up A-game.
Here’s a rundown of five places in Bergen County where you can show off your costume—and each event benefits a good cause. Click the links for more details.
- Saturday, Oct. 22 at 1 p.m. Why should Fido miss out on the fun? Sign up your dog in a photo and costume contest at the Halloween Party Fundraiser hosted by the Humane Society of Bergen County. Held at the Lyndhurst Community Center, this event features a tricky tray and raffles, games, a live DJ and, of course, plenty of cute pet moments. Admission is free.
- Saturday, Oct. 22 at 3 p.m. Throw on your best costume for a cause at the Halloween Fun & Wellness Fest hosted by Mission: Kid Success at Tiger Schulmann’s in Elmwood Park. Featuring tons of activities such as a bounce house, yoga, live music, magic, touch-a-truck, food trucks and more, there will also be trick-or-treating, which means costumes are a must! Proceeds go toward helping kids with autism and related conditions. Tickets start at $15.
- Sunday, Oct. 23 at 8:30 a.m. Alternatively, you can help support CASA (court appointed special advocates) of Bergen County, which helps foster children in the area, at their first-ever Costume Crawl at Van Saun Park in Paramus. The “family fun run and walk” will be followed by a bubble show and more entertainment, including slime demos, music and free food! Single tickets are $10, and a family of four is $20.
- Friday, Oct. 28 at 7 p.m. Scare away cancer at the 6th annual Johnny Sanzari Scare Away Cancer Halloween Party to benefit Nemours Children’s Hospital. Held at Club House Café in Cliffside Park, this event will feature 50/50 raffles, prizes for best costume and light appetizers included in the ticket price. The suggested donation is $20.
- Saturday, Oct. 29 at 12 p.m. Horses will be decked out in costume for Halloween—yes, we said horses—at the Bergen County Horse Rescue’s 6th annual Boo Walk. Enjoy games, snacks, trick or treating and photo ops with the horses at this event held at the horse rescue in Mahwah. Individual tickets are $15, and a family of four is $50.