Kick Off Summer at These 6 Fairs and Carnivals
Carnival and street fair season is here, and Bergen’s festival schedule is filling up. Here are six events that are sure to have everything you’re looking for.
Though summer hasn’t officially started (it’s June 20th, everyone!), most of us have already had a taste of the season: We’ve been to barbecues and beaches, splashed around sprinklers and swimming pools. Now this weekend, we welcome another sign of the season—street fairs.
The summer of quarantine put dozens of Bergen street festivals on the shelf last season, but these events—known for their assortment of vendors, food trucks, games and more—are slowly returning to our neighborhoods. A handful have taken place this spring, but they arrive in full force this month. Below are six popular street fairs and festivals slated for June, including four that you can attend this weekend.
- L.E.A.D. Carnival, Garden State Plaza, Paramus, Wednesdays through Sundays, now through June 20. Games, rides, food—need we say more?! The annual event benefits the Paramus L.E.A.D. Program (Law Enforcement Against Drugs). General admission is $5; tickets for rides are an additional fee.
- Outdoor Vendor & Craft Fair, Franklin Lakes United Methodist Church, Franklin Lakes, Saturday, June 12. After a year off, this local favorite is back and will feature various crafters and vendors—and other surprises!
- Crafts in the Park, Veterans Park, Westwood, Sunday, June 13. Visitors from all over the county attend this event, which features dozens of vendors and exhibitors selling homemade goods, jewelry, ceramics, artwork and antiques. And don’t forget the snacks—Italian ice, ice cream, pretzels and other festival food are on the menu.
- Fair Lawn Street Fair & Craft Show, Plaza Rd. and Fair Lawn Ave., Fair Lawn, Sunday, June 13. This street fest features more than 100 artists, crafters and vendors selling goods and food.
- State Fair Meadowlands, The Meadowlands, East Rutherford, June 18 through July 11. With more than 150 rides and attractions, 100 food vendors (yum!), 50 game vendors, musical performers and evening fireworks, this state fair knows family entertainment. General admission starts at $34.99.
- Spring Fling Street Festival, The Boulevard, Hasbrouck Heights, Sunday, June 27. Postponed from earlier in the year, this annual festival has everything needed for a day of fun: merchants and vendors, arts and crafts, food booths and trucks, rides and games, plus live music and performances.