Social Distance in the Backyard
Update your outdoor furniture and take quarantine entertaining to the next level.
Driveway happy hours were the answer for entertainment when friends visited your home during the first months of quarantine. But as warmer weather creeps from around the corner, the party shifts to the backyard for longer and cozier gatherings. This means it’s time to retire the folding camp chairs of the driveway get-togethers and set up something new in your yard—because your guests deserve better for the first (and hopefully last?) summer of the social distancing era. Outdoor furniture sales have skyrocketed during the pandemic, says CNBC, as families begin to drop summer travel plans and consider staycation ideas for their backyard. So, whether you’re having friends over for a cookout or enjoying a quiet evening with the family, here are five pieces of furniture that will set the mood:
- Dining alfresco has never sounded better, and Barlow Tyrie’s Aura collection (pictured) is a great way to update your outdoor dining set. Tables are made in circle, square and expandable rectangle shapes—meaning there’s a style that’ll fit every space and taste. Browse the pieces at Backyard Living in Ridgewood, which is open for curbside pickup.
- The Vineyard seating collection by Polywood features sofas, settees, chairs and ottomans in a variety of colors and cushions. The glider and rocking chairs, for example, will provide hours of relaxation—they’re available at Backyard Living in Ridgewood.
- Nothing screams summer more than a wicker chaise lounge, so be sure your backyard has one (or more)! Try the Cayman outdoor chaise by Crate & Barrel, which features handwoven, weather-resistant wicker in a variety of colors. It’s available for curbside pickup or delivery at the C&B store in Paramus.
- When the sun goes down, light up the Blue Rhino rectangle slat firepit for warmth and a s’mores-making session. With table-like space to hold food and drinks, it’s an elegant upgrade from a standard fire bowl. Check it out via virtual consultation or appointment at Ski Barn in Paramus, which will handle delivery and set up.
- If the fire pit is out of range, the outdoor wicker patio heater by Fortunoff Backyard Store in Paramus can keep the party going well into the night. The hour-glass-shaped heater has a no-fuss electronic ignition, automatic shutoff and 100-square-foot coverage area.