Sweets for Your Sweetheart
Life is like a box of chocolates, but you can make it more interesting on V-Day with unique treats from Bergen’s best sweet shops.
You make restaurant reservations weeks in advance, why then would you settle for Valentine’s Day chocolate from the seasonal aisle of the grocery store? In a pinch, Russell Stover’s heart-shaped box comes in handy, but there’s still time to go the extra mile and shower your significant other with special sweets.
Here’s more good news: The extra mile really isn’t that far. Bergen County is home to dozens of unique chocolatiers and dessert shops, all of which are ready for the final days before V-Day. Below are some of our favorites, and each offers treats beyond the box of assorted chocolates.
- Chocolate Lollipops at Mindy’s Munchies, River Vale. Surprise your loved one with these yummies, which you can get in either milk, dark or white chocolate. 215 Rivervale Rd., 201.664.1650
- Special Cakes at A Little Cake, Park Ridge. You’ll find plenty of pink and red Valentine’s cakes here this weekend, as well as special crumb cakes and cookies just for the occasion. 176 Kinderkamack Rd., 201.391.6300
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberries at Matisse Chocolatier, Englewood. Up the romance with fruit covered in the renowned store’s signature gourmet chocolate. 260 Grand Ave., 201.568.2288
- Cupcakes at Kara Kakes, Franklin Lakes. Available in full size and mini, these bite-sized treats can show your love in a big way. Single and loving it? Kara makes specially decorated cupcakes just for you. 799 Franklin Ave., 201.485.8889
- Non-Pareils at Conrad’s Confectionery, Westwood. You can’t stop at this candy land without getting a batch of their famous non-pareils, which are covered with red, pink and white sprinkles for Feb. 14. 107 Westwood Ave., 201.664.2895
- Hot Chocolate Bombs at Keremo Cakes, Cresskill. The hottest Christmas trend continues into the weekend of love, and Keremo has plenty of options to try. 18 Union Ave., 201.399.7373
- Donuts at Glaze, Fort Lee and New Milford. Your significant other (and the entire family) can enjoy a dozen of these beauties, from pink-frosted donuts to red velvet cake varieties. 2151 Lemoine Ave., Fort Lee, 201.585.6085; 358 River Rd., New Milford, 201.483.8634